Friday, October 4, 2013

SKB ATA Double Bow, Bow/Rifle Combination Case


Has survived 12,000 airline miles and counting
I was able to fit my Mathews bow, 12 guage shotgun (broken down), .280 ruger, some ammo and arrow quiver in this bad mamojama. Everything arrived safely and securely. There was no damage to the case whatsoever and continues to hold up exceptionally well.
A marginal bow/rifle combo case
My rating is based upon what I consider is a misadvertised rifle / bow combination case. Though it may serve well as a double bow case, it is ill designed to hold a rifle. First, a rifle with a 22 1/2 inch barrel (like my Tikka Lite) barely fits into the case on a diagonal (corner to corner) with the barrel tip and recoil pad touching the case's thin foam lining. This case wouldn't hold a longer barrel rifle. Second, the case's egg crate foam lining and divider is designed to hold two bows and provides virtually no support for a rifle. When I put a bow and rifle in the case and picked it up, the rifle shifted and moved--a disaster waiting to happen if you check as airline luggage. To fix the problem, I purchased a 2 inch thick piece of high density black foam the size of the case into which I cut an opening for my rifle to fit into so it was secure and wouldn't shift in transit. The high density foam and divider (with a bow in place above) kept the rifle secure. Again, the rifle...
SKB case hinge
This is a great case but the airlines damaged the same case this one is replacing. The hinge is a weak spot. A blow on the exterior hinge will spring the case and make it unable to close properly. At least the airline paid for my damaged case to let me buy another one.
Click to Editorial Reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment